Thursday, March 5, 2015

Divergent Movie and Book Comparison

During early February I read the fantastic novel, Divergent by Veronica Roth. After reading the pager turning novel, I decided to would watch the movie and compare the two.

I loved the book and I could only hope that the movie would meet my expectations.  I heard that it was fantastic but i wanted to see for myself just how fantastic it was and what the director decided to change.  After seeing the movie, I was impressed at how much the movie was like the book. While reading it, I was curious about how the film would portray the setting described and the director, Neil Burger, did a fantastic job of making the books setting and feel come to life. However, their were some changes that surprised me.  One change the surprised me was Peter's characters attitude.  In the book, I though of him as a violent and horrible monster that no one could even tolerate.   However, in the movie actor Miles Teller brought more of a humor to Peters character that made him partially likable. Another part of the novel that did not make the cut (that I believe should have) were some of the funny and cute romance scenes between Four and Tris.  For example, I though that the scene with Fore when he was drunk was funny and I would have loved to see it on the big screen, but sadly I was not able to. Also, I was surprised that during capture the flag they used neurostim darts instead of paint balls. I though that it was a good change because they do have more advanced technology so why would they be using regular paint ball guns?  Last, the ending in the movie was different from the book, I both liked the different twist, and disliked it.  I liked how they had Tris admit she is divergent instead of her trying to hide it because it lets off a different feel which I think is exciting because you don't know what to expect. What I didn't like was that Tris forced Jeanine to shut down the system without Four's help.  I did not like it because I feel as if she needs someone to help her because its only so easy to take down someone by yourself. 

Overall, I Enjoyed both the novel and the movie and director Neil Burger did a fantastic job  of putting the movie together to portray the stunning novel.  I would give these book 5 out of 5 star and recommend it to any teenagers and adult, however no younger kids because of some of the violence that happens throughout the story.  

No comments:

Post a Comment